Has Icon been proven effective? Can it really stop lesions effectively?
- Icon® and the method of resin infiltration has been the subject of numerous international studies which have yielded highly positive results.
- Studies carried out at prestigious universities confirm the efficacy of the principle of resin infiltration. Independent laboratory studies have been conducted since 2000.
- Although Icon® has only been available to US dentists since September 2009, the practical application of the product has been tested on patients in clinical studies for over two years. The effectiveness of the product has been confirmed over this period. The results also lead us to draw positive conclusions about the long-term halting of caries progression.
- The tests were carried out in several countries. For example, studies were started in the U.S (Michigan, Ohio and Alabama), Germany, Greenland and Colombia.
- Due to the particularly high rates of cavities in the populations where the tests were performed, it can be concluded that Icon® will work particularly well in countries with good oral hygiene standards (e.g. the US).
- The results of these studies show that by using Icon® the onset of cavities can be halted for many years.
Which applications is Icon® suitable for?
- Icon® can be used to treat the onset of early cavities both between teeth as well as on the "smooth surfaces" - without drilling. For this, the dentist has a choice of two treatment kits: "proximal" (for use between teeth) and for "smooth surfaces"
Does Icon® treatment replace drilling?
- Icon® cannot be used in cases of advanced decay. This applies, in particular, where the cavity has formed a hole in the tooth. In this case, traditional filling with a drill would be required.
- The treatment method for "resin infiltration" with Icon® works during the initial stages of cavities. If cavities are therefore detected at an early stage, which requires regular checkups, they can be treated using Icon® without drilling.
- Icon® is suitable when X-ray findings show mild lesion (early decay) progression; previously there has not been an appropriate treatment for this. Your dentist will be able to discuss the exact uses for it with you.
- An Icon® based therapy can intervene, where in the past, dentists have lacked a suitable treatment method and could only look on helplessly as early cavities continue to deteriorate until a filling was required. Icon® therefore postpones the need for filling for many years.
Is Icon® a product that can be used in any dental practice? Can I request it from my dentist?
- Icon® has been on the market since September 2009. Many dentists already work with it, and Icon® is already used in practices throughout the US.
- Ask your dentist about the caries infiltration method with Icon®.
Is the Icon® treatment painful?
- Icon® treats early cavities to be treated without pain. No drilling, no anaesthetic injection.
- To apply Icon® between teeth, the teeth need only be separated slightly with a dental wedge. Patients treated with these wedges have described this as gentle pressure.
- Icon® has been used on children and teenagers in clinical trials. The trial participants did not report any pain.
Is Icon® the same as a traditional filling?
- Icon® is not the same as a traditional fillings, traditional fillings require drilling and require the removal of healthy tooth structure. The new resin infiltration method with Icon® means that healthy tooth tissue can be preserved.
- The onset of early cavities can be treated with Icon® without having to drill
- This may increase the life expectancy of the tooth
- The treatment is painless and can be done in a single sitting.